Friday, July 26, 2013

Would you like a cocktail to go with your literature?

A friend bought this book for me as a thank you for watching her dog and I just had to share this. It is both amusing and instructive, while simultaneously answering two questions:

What cocktail should I make? 
and 
What book should I read?

And let's face it: haven't we all struggled with both of those questions from time to time? In case you couldn't tell by the title, this book is a recipe book for cocktails, but each cocktail is named after famous novels (mostly literary, but there are a few popular fiction titles mixed in).

The book is the perfect size to stash on the top of your bar, has lovely vintage illustrations, and includes drinking games both for when you are alone: "Slam a Red Bull every time you turn the page in Wuthering Heights. Just to stay awake, actually" (Federle 134) and with friends: "Smuggle booze into a library. Pull book titles out of the card catalog at random, playing 'Never have I ever' with the classics - 'Never have I ever read The Great Gatsby,' etc... All who have read the book in question must take a swig from the bottle. Scholars get smashed" (Federle 135).

I am not going to give away all of the wonderful and hilarious delights of this book, mainly because I don't want to infringe on copyright and I also might buy this book for everyone I know for Christmas. But if you want more, here is a link to amazon for you, where you too can purchase and enjoy this treasure.

I will leave with a parting gift: a list of my favorite cocktails from the book (based on their name, anyway, I just got it yesterday so I haven't made them all yet).

5. Lord Pimm
4. Are you there God? It's me, Margarita
3. Rye and Prejudice
2. Paradise Sauced
1. A Cocktail of Two Cities

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment