Sunday, September 28, 2014

Book Review of A Series of Unfortunate Events

I love these books. If I were a kid, I would give these books 5 out of 5 stars. Since I am an adult, they were a bit too easy of a read for e to give them 5 stars. For some reason, that is how my brain works.

What I love about these books is that they are witty. It is rare to find children's books that rely on wit for their humor instead of situational comedy. 

The characters are two-dimensional, the plot isn't complex; it is simply a story of orphans (each with an assigned character trait: one is smart and reads, one is smart and builds things, one is smart and bites things) who are running from an evil man (who is horribly, overtly evil for no other reason than that he is evil) who wants their money. But the fact that the story is overly simple doesn't matter because the narrator/author Lemony Snicket is sly and witty and amusing and doleful. 

Plain and simple plot. Witty narrator. Hilarious stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment