Sunday, December 7, 2014

For all my book-sniffing friends (you know who you are!)

Nymag.com has a list of reasons to love New York, including...

16. Because We’re Home to Not Only the Publishing Industry But Also to a Woman Who Spends Her Days Smelling Books

I think you know that books have captivated you in a unique way when you start smelling them. I think you can also tell who was raised with lots of books (or went to the library and bookstores a lot as a kid) based on rather or not they love the smell of books. It's like when people love the smell of apple pie because it reminds them of home. Why should book smelling be any different?

I still remember recognizing the smell of our local bookstore when we lived in a small town in Northern California. I was very young, so I can't picture the store very well, just a few odd shelves and parts of the children's section; but I remember recognizing that comforting smell as soon as I walked in the door - and loving it.

Not all bookstores smell great, and they don't all smell the same. We moved out of Northern California when I was around 8, and we found a new local bookstore. I still visit this bookstore on a regular basis. It has a weird smell that's a cross between Goodwill, your grandma's house, and old paper. I have one friend who won't even go to this store because she hates the smell so much. But I love it, because I spent lots of time there as a kid, trying to contain my excitement as I perused the mountains of books before me. For me, this store smells like possibility. As in, today I might discover the best book of my life or a new favorite author. Today might be the day I buy a book that changes my life.

So I breathe that smell in deeply. And I know that many of you out there do the same.

So let's hear from all those book sniffers out there. What is your favorite book to smell? Any book smelling rituals? Best-smelling bookstore? Do you prefer the smell of old or new books? Tell me all your book-smelling secrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment